What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is a science-based personalised healthcare approach that assesses and treats underlying causes of illness through individually tailored therapies to restore health and improve function. By shifting the traditional disease centred focus of medical practice to a more patient-centred approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
How it RH+ works?
We spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, Functional Medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual. There are various assessment questionnaire which gives us insight about body functions
HOW FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE DIFFERS FROM CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE?
The current medical is based on thought of ‘either/or’ module. Either your liver is functioning properly or you have liver disease, either your thyroid is functioning properly or you have thyroid disease. Its based upon what’s not working rather than on what is working. The physicians interfere when you are suffering from any disease in their context. They work only to suppress or treat the symptoms rather than focusing on the root cause of problem. There is a wide gap between being disease free to being diseased. And most of people do exist in this gap and this is known a dysfunction or dysregulation. Its possible to intervene before you get disease and can contribute to lasting health and longevity. Our body gives us lot of symptoms before the organs or systems are about to fail.
Our body has 7 biological systems and it’s only when there is clinical imbalances in these 7 systems, disease takes shape. The 7 systems are:
- Assimilation (Digestion, absorption, Gut microbes)
- Defence and repair (Immune, inflammation, infection)
- Energy (energy and mitochondrial function)
- Biotransformation & elimination (toxicity, detoxification)
- Communication (endocrine & neurotransmitters)
- Structural integrity (cellular membranes & musculoskeletal system)
- Transport (cardiovascular & lymphatic system)
Whole disease process happens in a continuum like this
- Underlying causes….toxins, pathogens, nutrition, microbes, stress, allergens
- Gene expression…all the above factors then interact with our genes and express varying abnormalities depending upon our genetic variability
- System Imbalances…leading to disease
Watch this short video to better understand about Functional Medicine by Dr. Mark Hyman.