Aloe is usually found in tropicals but also grown in several parts of Africa, Asia, USA and South America. Aloe vera leaf contain a jelly like substance which is bitter in taste having multiple medicinal and healing properties used for centuries around the world.
It is used topically in the form of gels, creams, lotions and mouthwashes & orally in the form of caps, liquids and powders for different purposes. Aloe vera gel contains amino acids, vitamins, fat, sugar and phytosterols which acts as anti bacterial and anti inflammatory agent.
The Aloe vera is used for multiple health benefits and these benefits can be classified under 5 categories according to their action.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Aloe vera has been shown to have strong anti-inflammatory activity when applied externally and taken orally. It helps in wound healing when applied on burns, boil or acne by acting as anti-bacterial agent. It can also be applied locally to prevent and reduce the severity of psoriasis & dermatitis. It also prevents & heal sun burn and prevent premature ageing of skin by forming a protective layer on skin when applied topically. It acts as emollient and moisturising agent for dry skin issues. It acts as anti bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent by lowering the pro inflammatory proteins and cytokines when taken orally thereby reducing pain and inflammation.
- Immunity Booster – Aloe vera has shown to activate the production of white cells when consumed orally thereby improving immunity. It also contains antioxidants which prevent free radical damage and boost immunity. Regular intake of aloe vera juice has shown to improve resistant against common infections and colds.
- Digestive Support – Aloe vera helps relieving constipation due to its strong laxative effect. It can be taken at night with warm water to have laxative effect. It also helps to curb acid reflux, heal stomach ulcers and leaky gut.
- Blood Sugar Control – Few studies showed reduction in fasting blood sugar levels in Pre-diabetics and type II diabetes due to increased glucose uptake and glycogen synthesis. It also showed marked effect in lowering total cholesterol and LDL when consumed regularly.
- Oral Health – Aloe vera when used as mouthwash has been shown to reduce and prevent oral cold sores and mouth ulcers. It has been effective in treating and alleviating the symptoms associated with Oral Lichen Planus, Submucus fibrosis, Gingivitis and Periodontitis. It can be used daily as mouthwash for day to day dental hygiene and preventing Dental Diseases.